08 June, 2011

Truths, untruths and things in-between

Have any of you heard of the quote "Nobody ever sees truth except in fragments"? Well I haven't either. And I'm not an ultra creative person, who can whip out a funny or thought provoking line in the blink of an eye and therefore I can confirm it's not mine. I relied on Google and found this one after a search that lasted approximately 0.23 seconds which fits nicely into what I'm going to harp on for a little bit. Now just look again at the quote as I'm quite sure you've forgotten what it was in the middle of all the drivel that has followed it. 

Lets start with Robin van Persie shall we? So we heard that he asked the players of Spain and Chelsea to concentrate on football and stop complaining about the referees. Well not exactly in the same manner as I, but using some of the English language's choicest words. Then we had some of the Chav blogs reacting instantly, some obviously saying that RvP was a c***. That is expected of course and proceedings were fun for a little while on Facebook, Twitter, blogs and even some otherwise boring news websites. Then all of a sudden Robin comes out of the closet and says he never said anything like that in the first place, spoiling all the fun in the process. So someone said he said it, he says he didn't, we believe the version we feel is best suited to our egos and life goes on with the episode registered in memory for use in future discussions with opposing fans.

Next up, Samir Nasri. Oh how we Arsenal fans loved this guy for half a season. Then for the next half he was anonymous. Now all of a sudden he's open to moving to United and that too fighting over a few thousand quid a week. Finally he comes out on Twitter that we fans shouldn't assume anything and that he would let us know. Like @Arseblog put it, just some fire-fighting after the initial speculation just in case he stays at the Arsenal. Oh okay Samir, do let us know but I guess we'll know before you tell us. If you stay at the club and play well I personally and most Arsenal fans will forget all this nonsense like it never happened. Otherwise good luck to you when you visit the Emirates. Sometimes we fans are just dummies in this whole transfer speculation circus. Actually it's all the time. I must credit Arsenal FC though at this point as they normally remain tight lipped on every deal until there is something concrete to talk about. 

Finally we have Rio Ferdinand who denied having tapped up Nasri as the media had us believe, by saying he made those comments long before all this speculation started (What a horrible profile picture he has on Twitter by the way!!!). Well Rio, as much as I'd like to believe you, I'd rather not. You see, I'm an Arsenal fan and I'll believe the version that suits me the best. It just makes it more interesting for me, so I can say things like you Man United players learnt nothing from meeting Barca in the CL final apart from the art of tapping up our players before any official interest was expressed by the interested club. The media are the biggest culprits in all these instances and more, but they are not going to listen to us when we ask them to shut up as they're quite thick skinned and very few messages reach them if any. So I guess we'll  all just feed on the fragments we get and choose what we want to believe.

On a totally different note, I just remembered a headline in The Guardian today which read something like "Hiddink deal is down to money in the end". Why? Was it peanuts or horse shit the deal was about earlier? Get a life. If it wasn't about money, he would just finish the job he's doing at the moment and not speak in the media about his interest in England. So yeah that's it from me for now. I'm going to go away looking for another set of fragments and decide what I'll have as the truth. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment