04 June, 2011

Nothing you didn't know

It's that time of the year. There's not much football on and life is well, not boring but then there are time slots on weekends that need to be addressed. Since doing something constructive with my free time does not come naturally to me, hours and hours are spent reading things of very little importance on the internet. Thankfully I have a job now, which takes up my time during the week. 


Image Courtesy: Vetty Pictures
It's a time for reflection, especially since I'm an Arsenal fan. Think of how things could have turned out last season, how things could turn out next season and how things could turn out in the season after next when the next one doesn't go to plan. This is also a time when I get excited about any shred of transfer talk related to the club. First I read an article, then try to find at least three or four more to try and validate whether the first one was pure garbage (which it is nine times out of ten) and then think why I read it in the first place. When I'm tired of doing that, thoughts go to the upcoming season and a renewed, over optimistic sense of hope sweeps across me before it all comes to a grinding halt. That's when I suddenly remember that what I'm going to witnessing at the end of July will be a bunch of unheard of players with un-pronounceable names taking to the Emirates pitch for the Emirates cup wearing the Emirates, sorry Arsenal jersey, playing to rules that increase our chances of winning, then winning and finally pledging that THIS is going to be THE season.


Speaking of the Emirates cup I've been thinking of going this time round to watch The Arsenal taking on the Red Bulls, for which tickets still seem to be available - I am shocked by that fact. Why miss out on witnessing our main trophy hope of the season? Anyway I really want to go as I am yet to watch Arsenal winning a game (only two attempts made so far) and with the Emirates Cup there is a high probability that we will win a couple of matches and the trophy all in one weekend.  Hmmm... why is there no major trophy where we could win two games and walk away with some silverware? Never mind, we might still bottle it if there was a competition like that.


On another note Brad Friedel joined spurs and therefore lost all the respect I had for him. Not that he would care, but anyway he's joined the Spuds, so from now on he deserves no more than what the rest of them get from the better side of North London. It's good in a way because if Arsenal want a new keeper who fits the Arsenal goalkeeping philosophy Gomez would be a like-for-like replacement for Almunia. Bringing him in will ensure we'll have a shot at the 2012-13 Europa trophy. On the topic of respect, Barcelona deserve every bit of it for the kind of football they played to destroy United but the superiority of their players doesn't extend for even an inch off the pitch. The only thing they seem to be interested in other than playing mesmerizing football  is coaxing Cesc to "join us". The latest quote is from David Villa - "Having him(Cesc) would be a great joy and I'd be happy for him because he deserves it, and I'd be happy to have him as my team-mate." Only he can say what he would enjoy so much considering that if Cesc does go, his backside would mostly be stuck on the bench. Most Arsenal fans, me included hardly care whether or not he leaves now as long as it is at a good price and the money is used on another quality player. Oh alright, that won't happen.


The last few days though have been interesting with van Persie giving Chelsea and Spain his best compliments, the Chavs getting offended (it's only natural isn't it, their blogs full of the news) and then Mr. Glass legs denying that he ever said such things. Whether or not he said it hardly matters does it? Keeps the fans engaged and riles people up until the next insignificant incident.  In other news Jack Wilshere had a shave last week and posted a picture of himself on Twitter and it brought about 500 comments in the next hour (figures courtesy @ladyarse), Rooney had a hair transplant to cover the gaping hole he had where his brain was and I was luckily standing outside the clinic to get a picture of his new look


Okay I've had enough. I'm going to go back to doing nothing. Later...

2 comments: