05 December, 2010

An Online CV With a Difference

In my last post I talked about people's inclination to grab others' attention through Facebook status updates and also at the end talked about how employers nowadays were looking at job applicants' social pages to form a first impression (Germany do have restrictions now). You can argue endlessly with regard to the merits of using online behaviour to judge an applicant before even meeting the person but since it is already prevalent that is a pointless argument . Ever since my interest in Web 2.0, social media, SEO and related areas grew a few months ago I have been discovering and learning new things and also experimenting with tools that I might not have otherwise noticed. 

Going back to the point about getting people's attention, for a job seeker, its of course employers whose attention is desired. I happened to come across a couple of websites/tools that I think might be extremely beneficial from a job-seeker-point-of-view. I've just started experimenting a bit with one of them called Flavors.me. It is just a platform where you can create an entire page which you can then use to do the talking - for you  and about you. The demo video on the website is great and captures pretty much everything that can be done using Flavors.

Picture Courtesy Themecraft 
The great thing about this tool is that the entire page is just about you. On online searches too, there is a good chance of this page being found, and from here you can direct anyone to all you other social, professional networking pages, blogs etc. As my professional interests are in the internet space, my CV would be incomplete if I didn't include links to my presence on these social pages. For starters a platform like Flavors will save some space and allow me to say a bit more about myself in the other sections of the CV!

An account upgrade at US $20 will give you access to real time stats, more layouts and fonts, the option of including a contact form and a listing on the Flavors directory. An option to also buy a domain is in the pipeline. These options could be extremely useful for freelance professionals and small/home businesses who/which may not have the time or technical know-how to set up their own website.

The second website is called About.me which seems to be a similar kind of platform. It has not been fully launched as yet. It will be interesting to see how different it will be from Flavors and what extra features it might have. I've reserved my URL, so hopefully I'll be getting confirmation that I can start using it very soon. 

If you're still reading I assume you are yet to try these so give it a shot and let me know what you think. Before I conclude this post, if you haven't already heard of a 2010 Business Management graduate named Kyle Clark you might want to take a look at how he got himself the job he wanted.

Update: (Dec 13, 2010)
I just read an article (courtesy @beastoftraal) related to people who have used innovative job search techniques. Whether good or bad, they surely are different.What are your opinions?

And by the way I've also just added the Disqus widget below which allows you to comment using Twitter, Yahoo etc. so there's a few options for you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment